Thursday, December 10, 2009

Accepting Adoption and Social Norms

“My man stood by me and several years later asked for my hand in marriage and we have been happy ever since. Our own sons know who their siblings are and they are perfectly fine with all of it.”

I personally find it a little difficult to believe that in our society today her children are “perfectly fine” with having other siblings who are with different parents because society would not allow them to be “perfectly fine” with it. it is just like adopted children will never be 100% perfectly fine with being adopted. It is not that they do not like the parents that adopted them, it is because society does not allow it. Society has imposed social norms among the community and being adopted does not fit into the norm accepted by the people. The social norm consists of a family made up of a mother, a father, 2 children, a dog, with a beautiful house and a white picket fence. Society plants tiny insecurities deep within people’s brains, some so small someone may not even know that they have this insecurity. I believe the reaction from kids affected by adoption, whether it is because they were adopted or they had siblings given up for adoption, to be more of a culture shock. The child is trying to make sense internally of why they are different from everyone else and how they can become like others. With all this turmoil going on within the child there is no way that any child affect by adoption could be “perfectly fine” with the judgments that come along with adoptions. It is human nature to critically analyze others and compare ourselves to others because we are naturally competitive. These actions have become socially accepted which is why every human does this naturally

1 comment:

  1. When ever I think of adoption I view it as a way of helping children who need it. I know there may be complication that come along with adoption like, if a older child is adopted they sometimes act out because of what they went through in the past and they have never had a real family, or if a infant is adopted and they grow up and they want to know who their real parents are and they are hurt at the fact that there mother and father didn’t want them at the time. But I think the pros overweigh the cons in situations such as adopting, a loving family that cares about children is saving that child’s life. Many times these children are being rescued from parents who beat them or sexually abuse them. I think that the way society views situations like adopting shouldn’t have an effect on families; the “American family” to me is a hoax, no family is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. To me there isn’t such thing as the perfect two kids, or the white picket fence, to me family is what represents who you are and the ones that love and take care of you. Family is supposed to make you whole whether your children are biological or not.
    When I was younger I met a girl who was adopted from Guatemala, ever since I met her I have wanted to adopt a child from Guatemala, even more now after watching the movie about the Guatemalan dump. I think about how her mom has created a better life for her and gave her an opportunity. Her adopted mother provided her with what her biological mother may not have been able too. To me, that’s what a family is all about.

    ReplyDelete